Because we are so busy training during the week I do a lot of cooking on the weekend for lunches and dinners for the following week. Hot meals are relatively easy to make in bulk but salads can be more challenging as many don’t last more than a day once made up. This salad not only keeps well but is filling enough to have on days when morning and evening training sessions leave you ravenous during the day! It is also a great way to use whatever vegetables I have on hand. I even dug up some fresh potatoes for this batch – they are so white and crisp compared to the ones you buy!
Potato and vegetable salad
• 10 medium potatoes or lots of little ones
• 1/2 sweet potato
• 1 red capsicum
• 1 yellow capsicum
• 1 squash
• Olive oil
• 2 handfuls violet climbing French beans
• 1 can cannellini beans
• 10 slices bacon
• 1/3 c oil
• 3 tbsp white vinegar
• ¼ c parmesan
• 1 tbsp French mustard
• 4 spring onions
1. Chop potatoes, squash and capsicum into large cubes and place in a baking dish. Coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until slightly golden, approximately 30 mins.
2. While potatoes are roasting slice beans into 1 inch segments and cook in boiling water until slightly tender. Dice bacon and cook bacon in a frypan.
3. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
4. When potatoes, squash and capsicum have cooled slightly mix with other ingredients and dressing for a delicious warm potato and vegetable salad!