I am loving starting every day with a smoothie (which L calls orge juice) again – so much so that when we went away for the weekend I took my blender with me! There are some things you just can’t easily replace. I the spirit of my smoothie craze I made a new flavor – carrot cake! Why hadn’t I tried this before? It was delicious! Just like a good carrot cake batter (licking the batter out of the bowl is the best part isn’t it?)
I was inspired by the fresh turmeric I found in the fruit shop (be careful – it leaves yellow marks on the bench). I have started including turmeric in my smoothie for its natural anti inflammatory properties and although I normally use ground turmeric I figured fresh would be better! I also included some of my homemade almond butter. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make – once I got past the doubt that it would never turn into a paste…
Carrot cake smoothie
300-400ml almond milk
1 tbsp almond butter
4-5 stalks kale
1 small grated carrot
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp chia seeds
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Put all ingredients in a food processor and combine until no lumpy bits remain!
2. Pour into a milkshake mug, insert straw and enjoy 🙂
4 c almonds
4 c almonds
1. Roast almonds for approximately 10 minutes or until they start changing colour.
2. Allow them to cool.
3. Pace in the food processor and process for about 10 minutes or until they turn into a paste – don’t worry it will happen! I did it in spurts so my food processor wouldn’t overheat. A couple of minutes on then a few minutes to cool down.
4. Put your almond paste in jars and store in the fridge for up to a week. So much tastier than the store bought stuff!